- Shrimp400 Gram(s)or chicken fillets
- Noodles250 Gram(s)dry
- Onion4 Piece(s)spring
- Red Pepper1 Piece(s)
- Carrot1 Piece(s)
- Garlic Cloves2 Piece(s)
- Ginger1 Tablespoon(s)grated fresh
- Neutral Oil1 Tablespoon(s)
- Soy Sauce2 Tablespoon(s)
- Tsu Tonka Bean2 Tablespoon(s)
- Ketchup2 Tablespoon(s)
- Toasted Sesame2 Tablespoon(s)
- Marinated Pink Ginger2 Tablespoon(s)
The term yakisoba literally means grilled noodles (soba) ( yaki ). It is a dish of noodles, meat and vegetables sautéed and seasoned with a tasty special sauce called yakisoba sauce. This is the Japanese version of the original Chinese recipe: the sautéed chow mein noodles.
Yakisoba in Japanese cuisine
Yakisoba is one of the most popular dishes of Japanese street food along side okonomiyaki and takoyaki . They are typically sold in the street, during Japanese festivities, by yatai (traveling stalls).
The Japanese also often consume yakisoba at home for several reasons:
- It is a cheap dish , easy and quick to make.
- The recipe is super flexible . You can include everything, including leftovers from the fridge so as not to waste and / or go shopping.
- It’s a healthy dish , as long as you put a lot of vegetables in it and go slowly with the oil and yakisoba sauce.
- It appeals to the whole family , adults and children of all ages!
- You can make a 100% vegetarian / vegan dish by removing the meat (or replacing it with tofu) and making a homemade sauce.
Prepare the condiments
First of all, cook the noodles in water according to the package directions. When cooked, set them aside in cold water to prevent them from sticking.
Then, chop the diced chicken, set aside.
Empty and cut the red pepper into dice the size of your thumb, set aside.
Slice the carrot into thin sticks, set aside.
Cut the spring onion stalks into small sections, set aside.
Cut the garlic into small pieces and grate the fresh ginger, set aside.
Prepare the yakisoba sauce
In a bowl, mix the Soy sauce, Tonkatsu sauce and Ketchup.
When all your ingredients are ready and at hand, put the oil to heat in a wok.
When the oil is hot, sear the stems of spring onions, garlic and ginger.
Add the shrimp and cook for 5 min. (for chicken count 10 min.)
Then, add carrots, diced peppers and cook for 3 min, while stirring.
Yakisoba final steps
When the vegetables are tender, stir in the quickly drained noodles and the sauce.
Continue cooking, stirring to coat the noodles in the sauce and toss everything together.
Finally, when everything is hot, remove the wok from the heat, divide among the plates and sprinkle with sesame seeds and / or marinated ginger if desired.
Yakisoba is a recipe for Japanese noodles that can be modified according to your tastes, it's up to you to remove certain ingredients or add some (mushrooms, bean sprouts, cabbage, ...). To taste with chopsticks of course !!!